Thursday, February 4, 2010

Second time Sous Vide- Tenderloin is the night




Please see my original blog post for details on my home sous vide set up and how to do one yourself for $0-$55!

Cooking a 'garden variety' steak sous vide at home accomplished two things-
1. a fantastic piece of sirloin, &
2. the fast desire to sous vide with tenderloin, my personal favorite

I put the filet in a plastic bag and sealed it. This time, I used slightly more seasoning then I did with the sirloin because tenderloin isn't as flavorful. I popped it in my homemade sous vide machine and waited an hour to take it out.

To be honest, I was slightly underwhelmed by the filet. For starters, I let the temp creep up to 140 degrees once too often and it was just a little too cooked for my taste, although still plenty tender.

The other issue is that cooked properly in most any manner, filet is tender as is. I said to myself, "thus the name genius, 'tender'loin." Sous vide-ing it didn't change it quite as much as I anticipated. Still incredible, but not quite as transformative as it was with the sirloin and no doubt, other steaks.

While I was waiting for the steak to be done, I was struck by the time component of sous vide. If I had a full blown immersion circulator, I could use a sous vide much the same as a crock pot. Essentially, 'set it and forget it.' That would be fantastic- just throw in your protein when you get home from work (or at the beginning of the day), crack it open at dinner time, and enjoy. The Sous Vide supreme may be even more around the corner then I originally thought.

I still can't resist tenderloin. My next blog post will detail an entire tenderloin roast I did for myself and 5 family members. And this time, I remembered to take a picture. If I can figure out how to post it, I will. I cooked it 2 ways- one with a roasted garlic & smoked cheddar sauce and another with a roasted onion and rosemary sauce over roasted asparagus and alongside roasted corn and pablano pepper slaw.

1 comment:

  1. Hope you got the cooker with temp control. Ah, so much easier. I ordered a Supreme Demi and I think it was a wonderful way to spend $400. I live in a condo with no grill. This resolves all problems. A choice strip bathed at 134 for 1 to 12 hours...perfect after the sear. And I've now ordered a butane torch to see if it is worthwhile as a carmelizer.

    I know how to cook and cool so foods can be prepared ahead. But, how is it recommended to bring the food back to the right temp?

    ReplyDelete